Once summer veggie gardens take off, it seems there is an unlimited supply of zucchini and everyone needs new ideas on how to use it up! Here’s one for you! With a flick of the potato peeler (or by using a mandoline), you can make beautiful, curly zucchini ribbons. Toss them with arugula and tomatoes – another bountiful crop this time of year! From there, you can add whatever cheese or nuts you like. I used toasted pine nuts and crumbled goat cheese. A store-bought dressing will do, but there is a simple recipe for homemade shallot vinaigrette below.
Look for my zucchini pancakes soon!
Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Tomatoes
- 1-2 medium zucchini ends trimmed and cut into ribbons with a mandoline or a potato peeler
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 4 to matoes cut into small wedges or to the desired size
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 1 shallot finely chopped and caramelized in 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I almost always use Himalayan pink salt these days
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place arugula in a salad bowl and put the zucchini ribbons on top.Arrange tomato wedges around the edges for presentation.Sprinkle pine nuts and goat cheese crumbles over the top.Drizzle dressing over and toss.
- Place all ingredients in a container with a tight-fitting lid.Shake well and refrigerate until ready to use.