You can make your very own street corn but without the mayo! Grilled corn carved off the cob, roasted poblano peppers, and caramelized onions rally together to create this flavorful side dish. Top with your favorite grated cheese and a splash of lime to make your own street corn!
Grilled Corn & Chili Pepper Hash
- 6 ears of fresh corn
- 3 large poblano peppers stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons Trader Joe’s Lime Seasoning Blend or similar
- 1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated mixed Mexican cheese
- S&P to taste
- 6 lime wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves snipped into small pieces with herb scissors or kitchen sheers
- Brush corn with olive oil and season all the way around with Cajun spice. (Can substitute chili lime seasoning if you don’t like Cajun.)
- Brush poblano pepper halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and place on a piece of foil.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
Pre-cook the Veggies:
- Heat barbecue to medium.Place corn cobs directly on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes per side, rotating four times to nicely brown all the way around.Remove from grill and cool.Once cooled enough to handle, cut corn off the cobs and set aside in a bowl.
- Place the foil with the prepared pepper on the grill and cook until al dente, about 5-6 minutes.No need to turn the peppers.Remove from grill and cool.Once cooled, coarsely chop peppers and set aside.
- Cook the onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, until translucent and beginning to caramelize.Add chopped peppers and corn and cook over medium heat until all is hot. Season with salt and pepper.Sprinkle cheese over the top and continue to cook until cheese is melted.Sprinkle minced cilantro over all and garnish with lime wedges.