If you love lamb but have never tried a lamb burger, you should definitely add it to your “to-do” list. They are rich and delicious, and perfectly accented with Kalamata tapenade and feta cheese. Serve it on a brioche bun for the extra-special touch of class!
Lamb Burgers with Kalamata Tapenade
- 6 brioche buns or regular hamburger buns
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary minced, (or 1 tablespoon fresh, finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese for topping
- 2 cups pitted Kalamata olives can also use green Greek olives, but make sure they are Greek!
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 small clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all ingredients (except feta cheese) and form into six burger patties.Grill over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or slightly shorter or longer for the desired doneness of rare or well-done. Immediately, after removing from grill, top each burger with approximately 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese so it begins to melt.When serving, spoon 1-2 tablespoons olive tapenade over cheese.
- Place sundried tomatoes in the bowl of your food processor.Using the pulse setting, process until chopped, but not totally pureed.Add garlic and olives and continue to process until olives are finely chopped, but again, not totally pureed.Stir in olive oil and refrigerate until ready to use.This is also delicious served over a combination of cream cheese, goat cheese, and blue cheese as a cracker spread.