Have you ever grilled cabbage? Grilled cabbage steaks are sooooo delicious! It puts this humble vegetable in a league of its own. It’s one of our favorite way to serve cabbage, which says a lot since we love cabbage and eat it in so many different dishes! It’s fun and easy to do, tastes amazing, and is a beautifully colorful dish when served with pine nuts, roasted red peppers, and tahini-feta dressing. The grilling process brings out a bit of the sweetness in the cabbage, which takes plain old cabbage to a whole new level! This is a fabulous vegetarian entree but also makes a fantastic side dish.
We prefer using red cabbage for a brighter color on the plate, but you can certainly grill red or green cabbage equally. You can also grill the cabbage in an aluminum pan on the grill or you can place the cabbage steaks directly on the grill. Both taste great, but it seems that the slice of cabbage holds together better on the grill, which may seem a bit counterintuitive.
Be sure to brush the cabbage with olive oil on both sides before seasoning. It’s best to spray the grill or the pan, too, whichever way you decide to grill it. You want to grill it long enough for the cabbage to start to brown on the edges and become slightly more than al dente, but not too soft. You’ll still want to have a little bite to it.
Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Tahini-Feta Dressing
- 1 Barbecue Grill
- 1 Food processor for the Tahini-Feta Dressing
- 1 head red or green cabbage, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4-inch steaks
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley for garnish
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
Grilled Cabbage Steaks
- Clean the head of cabbage and then slice a little bit off the very bottom, so tht the entire head stands firmly on the cutting board. Starting at the top of the cabbage, slice it into 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick slices, keeping the core in tact near the bottom.
- Brush each slice (top and bottom) with olive oil and season on both sides with lemon pepper, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Spray the grill with PAM or cooking spray if grilling directly on the grill. If using an aluminum pan, spray the bottom of the pan. Place the cabbage slices on the preheat grill (or in the pan and place the pan in the center of the barbecue) and grill for about 5 minutes per side direclty on the grill, and for slighly longer if using a pan.
- Remove cabbage steaks to serving plates. Drizzle with Tahini-Feta Dressing and garnish with toasted pine nuts, chopped Kalamata olives, chopped roasted red peppers and a parsley sprig.
- Place tahini and feta in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until well integrated. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.