What’s your favorite cupcake? 🧙♀️We are chocolate fans and these fun witch hat cupcakes are just what the Halloween season calls for! Made with delicious green buttercream frosting, Oreo cookies and dark chocolate Hershey’s kisses. Easy to make and fun to assemble, kids of all ages will love them!
Our go-to chocolate cake recipe, made with dark chocolate chips is super easy to make and delicious to eat! They freeze really well, too, so you can pull them out for a quick and easy dessert! We have made the same recipe for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter and now Halloween cupcakes!
Be sure to pick up a piping bag and a #824 open star tip with a matching coupler. This is the best gadget for making all kinds of fun and beautiful cupcakes. Once you get the swirl motion down, you’ll be decorating fancy cupcakes in no time!🧁
Witch Hat Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 24 cupcake liners
- 1 regular size muffin tin
- 1 piping bag
- 1 #824 open star decorating tip with matching coupler
- green and yellow food coloring You can use the liquid or gel food coloring, which often has a lot more available range of colors even in each color palette.
Double Chocolate Cake Batter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder the better quality, the better the flavor
- 2 teaspoons. baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 12 Oreo cookies, separated into two wafers each remove white cream filling with a knife
- 24 dark chocolate Hershey’s Kisses
Witchy Green Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cubes unsalted butter 1 cup, softened to room temp
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar +/-
- 2 tablespoons milk plus or minus for desired consistency
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line cupcake tin with cute cupcake liners … appropriate for the occasion.You will either need a cupcake tin that holds 24 or use two tins with 12 each.Or, you can bake the cupcakes in two batches if you only have one 12-cupcake tin!Or, just make half a recipe! That's an option too, but you won't be sorry if you make the whole batch! I'm just telling you right now!
- Lightly spray inside of the cupcake liners with cooking spray.This helps when you want to peel the liners off the cupcakes while eating them!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all dries (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large mixing bowl and blend well with a wire whisk.In a large 4-cup measuring cup or small bowl, mix oil with water and vanilla and add to dries, mixing thoroughly with a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Divide batter evenly among 24 cupcake tins.Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the batter in each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes hold their shape when you gently push with your finger.(Using a cake tester is tough because the chocolate chips will remain gooey until the cupcakes are completely cooled.)Check at 15 minutes and if you need a little more time, bake only and 2 minutes at a time.Cool completely and remove from the pan.
To Make Frosting
- Place softened butter in a large mixing bowl.Beat until creamy with an electric beater.Reserve 1/4 cup powdered sugar for the last addition, in case you've added too much milk!
- Add green and yellow food coloring a few drops at a time, until you achieve the green color you want for your frosting.
How to Frost the Cupcakes with a Decorating Bag and Tip
- Starting at the outside edge of each cupcake, push frosting through the tip in a circular fashion, ending in the middle with a little star.Place one half of an Oreo on top of the frosting. Place a tiny star of frosting on top of the Oreo and place the chocolate kiss right on top of that frosting star, pushing down gently.