Friday is our family cocktail night! Normally it’s gin, but lately we’ve been finding our way back to bourbon and, living in Austin, Still Austin is our favorite! It would likely be our favorite Bourbon even if we lived in Timbuktu! Still, this drink, with sour montmorency cherries marinated in brown sugar and vanilla, fresh cranberries, brown sugar and blood orange is amazing! AMAZING! It’s so approachable and so drinkable … just don’t have too many, it would be so easy to do!
In fact, we also love this cocktail as a highball, adding sparkling water (Topo Chico) to make it last. It doesn’t detract from the flavor at all, and it can make the drink last longer … which is, after all, what we all want, right? This makes it a little easier to wake up for your morning run the next day.
How we came about this recipe was by our love affair with brown sugar. Why have a white sugar cube, when you can have the caramel flavor of brown sugar, that doesn’t even need to be muddled. Although, a bar muddled is a very cool gadget, we have to admit! Anyway … the colors of this drink, the flavors and the stellar bourbon are everything we promise and more! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Brown Sugar Blood Orange Old Fashioned
- 2 oz. 🥃 Still Austin bourbon
- 1 tsp. 🍁 light brown sugar
- 1/4 🍊 Juice of ¼ blood orange (save rest for garnish)
- 4 🍒sour cherries (soaked in ¼ tsp. vanilla and ½ tsp. brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. 🍒.Amarena cocktail cherry juice
- 3 shakes 🥃 Angostura bitters
- 🧊 Ice
- 1/4 cup 🍁 Light brown sugar for rim
- 1 🍒 Amarena cocktail cherry skewered with 5 fresh cranberries
- 1 slice 🍊 blood orange
- Ring the top edge of the glass with the orange. Roll the rim of the glass in brown sugar on a plate or bowl.
- Mix bourbon, brown sugar, blood orange juice, sour cherries with 1 tsp. of the juice, Amarena cocktail cherry juice and bitters in the prepared glass and stir well. Let sit for several minutes.
- Pour in ice, garnish with cherry-cranberry skewer and orange slice. Cheers! 🥃