These crispy little shortbread nuggets are “melt in your mouth” divine and can be made with or without coconut for the perfect bite-sized morsel to satisfy any sweet tooth!
You need a cookie fix and it’s got to have chocolate, and it’s got to be quick and it’s got to be delicious! You’ve just found it! A friend of mine brought these tiny treasures to a dance competition when our daughters were both competing during high school! Because I adore shortbread cookies, they soon became one of my favorites! Each cookie has the perfect crunch with a tiny spec of chocolate in every bite! And, because I love coconut, I added the coconut to the ingredients and they are amazing!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Shortbread
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup baking coconut finely grated or chopped (unsweetened, shredded)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips if you prefer dark chocolate, which I do, then chop larger chips in a wooden bowl until smaller bits
- *If you don’t use the coconut, add an extra 1/2 cup of flour
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter and powdered sugar on low speed of electric mixer until well integrated.Stir in vanilla and coconut and mix until blended.Add flour and salt and beat on low speed, just until mixed.Stir in chocolate chips.
- Gather dough into two balls and roll each into a log, approximately 1 1/4-inches in diameter.Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F, slice dough with a sharp knife into 1/4-inch slices and place on an ungreased baking sheet or Silpat mat.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.Remove from oven and cool.These cookies freeze quite well, so you can prepare them ahead of time if you need to.