We have always loved broccoli salad, but you don’t seem to find it in too many places. And, when you do, it usually has raisins, and sometimes mayonnaise or yogurt. We really love this recipe, because it uses a simple vinaigrette of olive oil and a combination of rice and cider vinegar. The cider vinegar gives it just a hint of sweetness, but it’s not too sweet. The turkey bacon adds a salty touch and a bit of protein, while the broccoli has such a good crunch and the sharp cheddar cheese and toasted pecans add the final touches!d! This salad travels well in lunch boxes, too.
Broccolini Salad with Turkey Bacon and Sharp Cheddar
- 6-8 cups chopped fresh broccolini or broccoli … either one works for this salad including florets and stems (one large bunch)
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans pieces
- 1/4 cup unfiltered cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- S&P to taste
- Mix well in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan and cook onions over medium-high heat, until beginning to get brown and crispy. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Cut broccoli into small, bite-sized pieces, including the florets as well as the stems. Put into a salad bowl.
- Heat bacon in microwave for about 2-3 minutes, until it starts to get crispy. (Turkey bacon is pre-cooked, so this is just to crisp it up a bit.) Break into small pieces. Toss in with broccoli.
- Add grated cheddar and pecans and toss it all together with the dressing.
- Serve at room temperature along with some yummy bread!