We are so addicted to these fabulous, gluten-free seed crackers! Not only are they incredibly delicious, but they are also super healthy! All of the seeds are rich in protein and good for heart health, too! One bite and you’ll wonder where they’ve been all your life!
We were a little late to the seed cracker party, since we are not gluten-free, but once we discovered seed crackers it was a game-changer! It just so happened to coincide with a family member needing to be on a heart-healthy diet, so we were all so happy to learn of the many health benefits of these crackers. Even the arrowroot, which is used as a thickening agent to bind the seeds together, is good for the heart!
Arrowroot powder is comprised of starches from the arrowroot plant – maranta arundinacea. It’s gluten-free, odorless and tasteless, so besides thickening things up, you hardly know it’s there at all. It can also be a good substitute for cornstarch, and while some say to use 2 teaspoons of arrowroot for every tablespoon of cornstarch, we use it in a 1:1 ratio. Arrowroot powder has twice the thickening power of wheat flour. It also contains potassium, an essential electrolyte important to heart health. That sure sounds good to us!
While we are super excited about arrowroot as a thickening agent, all of the nuts and seeds in these crackers are also protein-rich, have essential minerals and antioxidants, and contain no cholesterol! But, have we mentioned how delicious they taste? That’s our primary objective when we create recipes, but having healthy benefits is fun too!
So Many Seeds Crackers (Nordic Seed Crackers)
- 1 13 x 18-inch rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds black or white or a mixture
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds can be raw or roasted, salted or unsalted
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Pink or sea salt grinder for the top of the crackers.
- Preheat oven to 275° F. Line the 13×18 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix all of the seeds in a large mixing bowl. Stir in salt and arrowroot powder to blend. Add olive oil and mix well. Pour in boiling water and blend well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on the prepared baking sheet, smoothing it out with an off-set spatula. Be sure to get the mixture to cover the baking sheet from side to side and end to end in a thin layer. If the spatula gets sticky, run it under hot water and continue the process.
- Season the top of the seed mixture lightly with a salt grinder.
- Bake for 90 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through the baking. The sheet of crackers should be a beautiful golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before breaking it into the cracker-size pieces.
- We like to break the sheet into larger chunks until we’re ready to serve them. This keeps them from crumbling too much. But, not too worry, the crumbs make excellent salad toppers!
- Store in an airtight container in the pantry.