These are magical! You won’t have to be convinced to eat your veggies once you’ve tasted these delicious morsels! Crispy Brussels sprouts are sautéed with shallots and toasted walnuts and finished off in a tangy/salty/sweet sauce for a flavor sensation! The trick to cooking these just right is being patient and allowing them to brown in the skillet before stirring them with all of the other delicious ingredients!
You can also make these in the air fryer and they are delicious! Just bake for 15 minutes at 350 F and you have beautifully crispy, yet al dente sprouts!
Honey-Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts cleaned and cut in half
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 large shallot or red onion finely chopped
- Optional: 2 strips bacon cooked crisp, and crumbled for your meat lovers!
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the above in a container and shake or stir well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Dry toast the walnuts in a large cast-iron skillet, just until toasted and beginning to get that wonderful toasted nut smell. Stir only occasionally, but watch them closely so they don’t burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil along with shallots or red onion, and cook just until translucent. Remove shallots from pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add remaining olive oil and add Brussels sprouts to the pan, placing them all with the cut side down. Cook, uncovered and undisturbed, over medium heat for about 4-5 (+/-) minutes until the bottoms have all become golden brown. Flip Brussels sprouts and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Add shallots and walnuts back into the skillet with the sprouts. Drizzle marinade over everything. Toss with a wooden spoon. Cover with a lid and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are tender, but al dente. The reduction sauce basically steams the Brussels sprouts to the desired doneness.
- If you are a bacon lover, sprinkle crisp bits of bacon (pork or turkey) over everything. If you’re a vegetarian, you will certainly want to skip this last step!