We have one disclaimer here, we love chicken! No matter how it’s prepared it’s our go-to meal. But, whether or not you are a crazy chicken fan like our family is, you will love having this dish in your recipe rotation! Our proprietary Diavola Spice Rub is blend of cayenne pepper, garlic, and spices and sets the tone while flame grilling provides the backdrop to devil’s style chicken! But don’t worry, it’s definitely not too hot to savor every last bite.
We don’t, but we literally could eat chicken every, single night … we love it so much! It’s become a family joke and my parents always poke fun at me, asking “what kind of chicken are we having tonight”? One night while visiting our daughter in NYC, we tried out a new restaurant in The Village and it seems that three of the four of us were craving chicken. The only option on the menu for chicken lovers was Pollo alla Diavola (devil’s chicken) so-called for the spicy nature and flame-grilling of the dish. I had never had it before, but it is possibly the best chicken dish I’ve ever eaten. In fact, it registered such a high note with us that it’s in our regular bi-weekly meal rotation!
I made it for a dinner party one night, and even though most recipes call for the whole spatchcocked chicken, we purchased Mary’s bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and it was devilishly divine! Our son suggested it as an alternative to my regular hot and spicy wing recipe, and it was awesome as a rub on wings, too. If you like spices and chicken, you just can’t go wrong with this recipe. Last time I made the rub, I quadrupled the recipe and made a whole spice jar full. This makes it super easy when you have a craving for this dish at the last minute!
- 4 chicken breasts bone-in and skin on
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tsp. Treks & Bites Diavola Spice Rub *Can in our online store!
- About one hour prior to cooking, rub 1/2 teaspoon of the Diavola Spice Rub over each chicken breast to dust the breasts on both sides. Tuck one bay leaf between the skin and meat of each chicken breast.
- Mix remaining Diavola Spice Rub with olive oil. Divide this in half. Set half aside in 4 condiment bowls for each person. Use the remaining half to brush on the chicken breasts after they come off the grill, but before placing them in the oven.
- Grill over medium heat on the barbecue for approximately 7 minutes per side. Remove from grill and place it in a baking dish. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil-Diavola Spice Rub mixture. Continue to cook in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until the desired doneness. Note* the time will vary based upon the size of the chicken breast.
- Serve hot and spicy with BBQ’d corn, rice, or potatoes. Serve the extra of Diavola olive oil basting sauce to each person for dipping during the meal!