Caramelized onions, apples, roasted chicken, and sharp cheddar rolled into beautifully thin crepes makes an outstanding fall meal. The inspiration for this recipe was an autumn “apple” themed teacher appreciation luncheon at Placer Hills School (Northern California) where all of my kids were enrolled. Every dish was to include apples as an ingredient. This was easy for appetizers and desserts but posed a bit of a challenge for the entrée. In the end, we created apple-onion-cheddar crêpes, and the response was terrific! Whether they were just being polite, you’ll have to find out for yourself, but this recipe did win a first prize ribbon at the Auburn Community Harvest Festival!
This version also has pulled chicken, but it’s delicious without, too, for a vegetarian option. Add this recipe to your fall recipe collection.
Caramelized Apple & Onion Chicken Crepes
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cube butter 4 tablespoons for cooking crêpes in the frying pan
Caramelized Chicken-Apple-Cheddar filling:
- 10 chicken tenders or 4 chicken breasts sliced into 1-inch strips (boneless and skinless)
- 2 medium yellow onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium Honeycrisp apples peeled cored, and sliced
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. dry sherry
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.Beat eggs and milk in a separate bowl or large glass measuring cup.With wire whisk, slowly add liquids and stir into flour until blended and smooth. The batter should be rather thin.
- Heat one teaspoon of butter in a crêpe pan or flat frying pan with shallow sides. When butter is very hot, pour 1/4 cup batter into the pan and holding handle, swirl the pan in the air to get crêpe batter to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Cook on medium-high heat until browned. Flip the pancake over and cook for just about 30 seconds longer.Crêpes will be quite thin – much thinner than a normal pancake.Remove from pan store in between sheets of waxed paper until ready to use. Can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated.
To assemble crêpes:
- Lay a crêpe out flat on a cutting board.Spoon four heaping tablespoons of chicken-apple-onion mixture into the center of the crepe.Sprinkle with one tablespoon grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Roll up and place in a greased casserole dish, seam side down.Continue with remaining crêpes until filling is used up.Sprinkle extra grated cheese over the top of the crêpes.
- Heat through at 350 degrees until cheese on top melts and centers are hot, approximately 20 minutes.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.Add chicken tenders and brown.Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and tent with foil.When cool and completely cooked through, shred chicken into bite-sized shreds with fingers or two forks.
- Add sherry to pan and heat to deglaze, scraping up browned chicken bits from the bottom.Add chicken bits to chicken in foil. Using the same pan, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and add onions. Brown and cook until onions are caramelized, adding white wine or sherry as you go.Remove from pan and add to chicken.Add another or two of olive oil to pan and heat.Add sliced apple and cook until apples are slightly browned and then turn heat to low and continue cooking until apples are al dente (cooked but not mushy) and browned.Remove from pan and add to chicken mixture. Mix well.When cool add one cup grated cheddar, salt, and pepper to taste and mix well. Store in refrigerator until ready to assemble crepes.