We love a good Caesar salad and the other day we got the idea to make a Caesar potato salad for July 4th festivities and, well, really for the whole summer! Instead of boiling potatoes, we roasted baby Yukon golds with a little olive oil and sea salt until fork tender. Then we tossed them in our favorite homemade Caesar dressing, along with the usual potato salad suspects … 🕵️♀️🔎 celery, boiled eggs, dill, and chives. Anchovy olives and grated Parmesan give the salad that extra Caesar touch! For even more flavor, add bacon or pancetta bits! It truly is a combination of a potato salad (sans mayo) and a potato salad! Happy 4th everyone!🎉
Some people love anchovies while others don’t. We make the compromise of using anchovy-stuffed olives, which are a little bit more subtle and besides them, you get the benefit of also having the addition of olives in your salad, which is really good … unless you also don’t like olives, in which case you can leave the olives out altogether!
This salad can be made several hours ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Caesar Potato Salad
Roasting the Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs. Baby Yukon gold potatoes Dutch yellow peewee potatoes
- Lemon pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Roasted potatoes
- 2 stalks celery chopped or sliced
- 2 eggs hardboiled and coarsely chopped (include yolks or not, as you wish)
- 8-10 anchovy stuffed olives cut in half or quarters
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or similar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon or pancetta bits optional
- 1 recipe Caesar salad dressing below
Garnish: parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 small lemon or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove crushed or minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese or similar
- 1/8 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Dash of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon anchovy olive juice optional
- 3 or 4 whole anchovy olives optional
Roasting the Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Clean baby potatoes and toss in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until fork-tender. Cool to room temperature. Cut potatoes in half.
- Note- if you want to use larger potatoes, you can just cut them into bite-sized pieces before tossing them with olive oil and roasting.
- Toss potatoes with dressing to coat. Add remaining ingredients and toss again to coat everything well. Chill until ready to serve. Serve over a bed of lettuce and garnish with a few sprigs of parsley.
- Put all ingredients into the food processor and blend until completely smooth. The dressing should be a little bit frothy almost. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.