Some call it liquid salad, but whatever you all it, this garden-fresh raw veggie soup is so refreshing and delicious in the heat of the summer! Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, and garlic puréed together with lime juice, earthy spices, and cilantro, this is the quintessential summer food! Serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream, garnish it with a squeeze of lime, avocado, and cilantro, plus a slice of crusty bread and you have meal perfection!
This recipe takes some time to prepare all of the veggies, getting them cleaned, seeded, and chopped. Plus we like to grill our red onion before adding it to the mix because no one in our family can endure raw onion. If you’re the same, you need to be ready to grill some onions, baby. But, don’t worry, if you love raw onions, then by all means, just chop them and add them to the food processor! Gazpacho is best when made serval hours or a day ahead so that the flavors have time to meld.
When selecting the ingredients for your gazpacho, be sure to use only ripe, fresh vegetables. It’s fun to vary the vegetables that go into your gazpacho. For example, use yellow tomatoes and yellow bell peppers to create a golden yellow soup one time, followed by red or orange tomatoes and red or orange bell peppers the next. The key to making gazpacho is to balance the mix so that no one ingredient overpowers the rest. It should be a harmonious blend of seasonal produce.
Garden Fresh Gazpacho
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves stems removed
- 2 large cucumbers peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 large red orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper stem, and seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper stem, and seeds removed and coarsely diced
- 1 to matillo paper removed, and diced
- 1 medium red onion peeled and sliced or chopped (can saute, grill, or use raw)
- 4-5 large tomatoes quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon mild New Mexico chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce optional
- Garnishes: nonfat Greek yogurt fresh cilantro sprigs, avocado slices or pieces, lime wedges.
- Clean all veggies. Peel cucumber. Cut all veggies into medium-sized chunks. Place the first 8 ingredients into the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse processor 6-7 times for a chunky gazpacho and 2 minutes more for a smoother soup. If you only have a small processor, do it in batches by processing each type of veggie one at a time and transferring to a larger bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Chill for several hours or overnight. Garnish with avocado, plain yogurt, cilantro, and lime wedges,