Good morning sleepy heads!
There is nothing like a strong cup of coffee and a sweet breakfast treat to clear one’s mind of the annoying alarm clock! This coffee cake offers a little change-up on the traditional sour cream coffee cake. Made with nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream, extra nuts, and cardamom spice, you’ll be so happy you woke up!
Yogurt Pecan Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.In a larger bowl, cream butter (or margarine) and sugar with an electric beater. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each (this is really important for this recipe.)Blend in vanilla.Add flour mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with dries.Mix well.
- Mix well in a separate bowl.Sprinkle between layers of coffee cake batter in the Bundt pan.
To Assemble Coffee Cake
- Grease either a 10-inch tube pan or 10-inch Bundt with PAM.Sprinkle ¼ of the filling on the bottom of the pan.Spread 1/3 of the cake batter over filling, taking care not to mix with topping. Repeat process two times, ending with final ¼ filling.Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the coffee cake comes out clean.Cool in pan and when cool, turn out upside down onto a plate.Store in an airtight container until ready to use.