My sister and I used to call this “Secret Sauce #1” when we were little kids because we loved sneaking spoonfuls when our mom wasn’t watching. “Secret Sauce #2” was the beginning of the brownie batter before she added the eggs. We just couldn’t get enough of either! This sauce has basic ingredients, but they come together like magic! We use this barbecue sauce primarily for chicken.
Best Ever Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons French’s mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh or bottled lemon juice
- In medium sauce pan, heat oil and cook onions until just beginning to brown. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to a boil and boil for one full minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the stove. Cool or use immediately. You can freeze this sauce, but it also keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator.