Apples are especially wonderful this time of year with so many different varieties available in the markets. When baked with spices, they make an excellent fall dessert that is nice and light. We’ve made these with several different kinds of apples, and while I love Fuji apples for eating raw, they tend to fall apart when baked. The Braeburn, Honeycrisp or Gala apples all hold their shape really well and are also delicious raw or cooked. These can be served warm or at room temperature and a scoop of your favorite frozen yogurt or ice cream adds a nice touch!
Baked Apples with Caramelized Raisins, Nuts, Spice & Amaretto
- 6 apples use good baking apples such as Gala, Braeburn or Honeycrisp
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts and pecans coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Tops from apples chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans and walnuts
- Liquid from cooked apples
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- Vanilla or Caramel Praline ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Cut the tops off the apples and save for later.With a knife, coring tool, or grapefruit spoon, scoop out the core leaving the very bottom of it intact.Place apples right side up in a casserole dish.
- Mix raisins, nuts, brown sugar, and spices in a bowl.Fill the cavity of each apple with this mixture.Place a small piece of butter on top of the filling in each apple.Pour water in the bottom of the pan around the apples and cover with foil.Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then remove foil.Continue to bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until a knife easily pierces the apple, but the apple is not mushy.Remove apples from oven and reserve liquid for the sauce.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat and stir in brown sugar. Add cooking liquid from apples and Amaretto and bring it to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer until volume is reduced and the sauce becomes syrupy. Add nuts and extra raisins if you like!
- To serve, place a scoop of ice cream or yogurt over apple and drizzle sauce overall.