We love carrot cake! In fact, I haven’t ever met a carrot cake I didn’t love! But, this one is the best yet! Made with buttermilk, it is both light and moist, and the fluffy cream cheese frosting is blissful!
Buttermilk Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk no substitute for this
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots can use the grater on a food processor or hand-held grater
- 1 flat can 8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
- 2/3 cup walnuts or pecans quartered, not chopped
- 6 ounces flaked coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting (for 9×13 or 2 9-inch layers)
- 1 8- oz. package cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cube butter 2 oz., softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray 9×13 rectangular baking pan. (*Can also use three 8-inch or two 9-inch round pans)
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar with oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.Beat in eggs, one at a time.Add dries and mix well.Add pineapple, carrots, coconut, and nuts. Mix thoroughly.The batter will be very thick.Pour batter into prepared pans.Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Cool completely before frosting.
- *Reduce baking time for layer cake rounds by about 10 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.Add vanilla and sugar and beat until smooth.Frost on top of cooled carrot cake.
- *Frosting adjustments for layer cakes: 2 layers of 9” – use 1.5 times the recipe and for 3 layers of 8”- use 16 oz. cream cheese, 1 cube butter and 6 cups sifted powdered sugar.