Watermelon Arugula Salad with Feta and Avocado
Watermelon adds the dazzle to this refreshing summertime salad. The beautiful ruby color brightens the plate and its sweet flavor is the perfect foil to the salty feta crumbles. You can use just about any vinaigrette you like for this salad, but I prefer to just drizzle olive oil and white wine vinegar, toss and season to taste with salt and pepper. A dash of balsamic vinegar would add some extra punch, but be careful not to add too much due to the sweetness of the watermelon in the salad. Also, if you are ambitious, you can try compressing the watermelon, which is a whole process all by itself, where you vacuum seal the watermelon cubes in a reduction of pureed watermelon to infuse it with even more flavor. That said, I think a really good, ripe summertime watermelon is just as tasty as the compressed.
- 1 7-8 ounce bag of Arugula prewashed
- 1 cup of cubed watermelon try to get seedless or less seed varieties
- 1/2 cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese approximately 4 ounces
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons champagne vinegar can use white wine vinegar
- Dash of balsamic vinegar optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The directions for this are pretty easy. Place arugula, feta, avocado, and watermelon in a beautiful salad bowl.Drizzle olive oil and champagne vinegar over the top and toss.Season with salt and pepper.