This hearty and healthy fruit salad has its origins in my Girl Scout Days … when my mom was our scout leader and she decided that we needed to have a little outdoor adventure! So, we made sit-upons (insulated homemade pads for protection against the damp ground.) We made ours with woven newspaper and covered them with whatever leftover fabric we could find. It was a fun project and it went hand in hand with our stuffed apple walking salad! We hollowed out apples and filled them with a mixture of peanut butter, raisins and other kinds of goodies. The idea was that you could hike and eat at the same time! 🍎 They also make great snacks for school lunches!
Courts and I decided to make these the other day for our road trip, but because we love our Almond Butter Bites so much, we filled the apples with mix of almond butter, celery for extra crunch, raisins, craisins, sunflower seeds and pecans. Then we stuffed that mixture back into the apple and had a super delicious driving snack! It was really a perfect lunch to get us started on our nine-state driving tour.
You can use peanut butter, almond butter, or whatever kind of nut butter you like best, and add dried fruit and seeds to your liking. We’d love to see what kinds of concoctions you come up with, so be sure to leave a comment if you try making these at home!
Walking Apple Salad
- 4 large apples Your favorite kind – we love Honeycrisp
- 1/2 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted or not
- 1/2 cup diced apples use the apple chunks that you carve out of the apple
- Cut the tops off the apples and set aside. Using an apple corer or a grapefruit spoon, remove the apple cores. Then remove the apple flesh, leaving a 1/2-inch outside wall of each apple.
- In a medium bowl, blend almond butter with all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Using a large spoon, fill the cavity of each apple with the almond butter filling. Place the tops back on the apples and start enjoying your walking salad!