If you have trouble choosing between chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies … we’ve got you covered! You can have your oats and chocolate too! This old family recipe combines the best of both cookie camps into one cookie that’s crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and filled with lots of dark chocolate chips. Plus you get a little boost of fiber and protein! You know the saying, “A cookie a day … !”
We like to make these with no spice, so you can really enjoy the dark chocolate flavor, but cinnamon and chocolate are also great companions, so if you feel like it, add a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the cookie dough. Pecans are also a great addition, if you like nuts. We happen to have a love affair with pecans, and we put them in almost everything we make, so we often add them to these cookies too!
If you prefer a chewier cookie, bake them a little less time and conversely if you love a crispy cookie, leave them in the oven a wee bit longer.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 10 oz. butter, softened to room temp 2 1/2 sticks or 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups oats We use quick oats, but old fashioned oats will work too.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped – optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place butter in the bowl of your standing mixer or a large mixing bowl. Beat until creamy. Add both brown and granulated sugar and beat until creamy. Add egg and beat until well-integrated. Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts, if you are using them. Mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon or ice cream scooper onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes for chewy cookies and 10-11 minutes for crispy cookies. Note … bake time can vary with each oven, so check on the cookies after about 8 minutes. Then decide if you need to bake longer or not!