These savory biscuits are super delicious and so easy to make! What I love about them is that they call for olive oil instead of butter and nonfat plain yogurt to bind them together! Not to mention, they are full of olives bits and grated sharp cheddar, two of our favorite foods! These nuggets are great with soups or salads, and if you make them bite-sized, they are a perfect appetizer to pass. They also store well for a week or so in an airtight container and all you have to do is crisp them back up in the toaster oven!
Our favorite olives for this recipe are Mt. Athos Greek green olives, but you can use any green olive you like or even substitute Kalamata olives for a change-up! We use sharp white cheddar, but yellow works fine, too for this recipe. If you have a fluted biscuit cutter, you’ll end up with pretty scalloped edges like in this photo, but a regular cutter or even a glass work just fine to make these tasty nuggets.
Olive & Cheddar Nuggets
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 oz. olive oil
- 5 oz. nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup grated sharp white or yellow cheddar cheese divided (1/2 for dough and 1/4 for topping)
- 3 oz. chopped green Greek olives
- *Substitution for Self-Rising Flour:
- You can make your own self-rising flour by using a ratio of 1 cup flour to 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder to 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 ⁰ F.
- Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well with a fork or whisk. Add olive oil, yogurt, grated cheese, and olives.
- Mix all well and gather into a ball. The dough will be moist and will seem like biscuit dough at this point.
- Knead on a floured surface for just a minute or so just to make sure all of the flour is well-incorporated into the dough. Gather the dough into a ball.
- On a floured surface, flatten the dough ball into a 12-14 inch circle. Cut into smaller circles using a 2-inch biscuit cutter. (Use a smaller biscuit cutter for appetizers to pass.)
- Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until rolls begin to get golden-brown on top. If you make bite-sized nuggets, reduce baking time accordingly.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes to set up before serving. Serve warm. If you are making them in advance, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container and reheat them in a low (200 ⁰ F) oven or toaster oven for about 10 minutes to crisp them back up! You will never be sorry that you gave these a try!