Mango-Avocado Salsa (perfect for fish or shrimp tacos)
This is a wonderfully healthy and delicious seasonal topping for grilled fish or seafood tacos and you can use whatever fresh fruit is in season: mangos, papaya, kiwi, peaches, nectarines, etc. The recipe was given to me by an oncology nurse who has witnessed the healing powers of good nutrition. The bonus is that it also tastes amazing and is wonderful over grilled fish or shrimp or served with fish and shrimp tacos. It seems to lend itself to Mexican seafood dishes so well because of the tropical nature of the fruit and the avocados! It’s fabulous for warm summer evenings!
- 1 ripe mango cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ripe papaya cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large firm but ripe, avocado cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 1 lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves cut into strips with Bevalig kitchen scissors
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or lemon pepper
- Heat oil in the skillet and sauté red onions until beginning to brown and caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Carefully toss along with cooled red onions.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serve over your favorite grilled fish or with seafood tacos.