Thanksgiving isn’t quite the same without some good old-fashioned pumpkin pie, but when it comes to pumpkin pie, we think that pumpkin chiffon is the best! The texture is light and fluffy with a mousse-like creaminess. Whipped cream and beaten egg whites folded into the pumpkin custard make all the difference. In fact, it’s so light, that you can easily eat more than you should!
This one can be made with a gluten-free crust, which is as delicious as can be. We use our favorite oil-based heirloom crust, one we call Emily Stewart’s for some reason we really don’t know. She probably was a friend of my grandmother, although I never had the chance to meet her! It is kind of like a crispy shortbread crust and the salty, sweet, and crispy combination is the perfect base for this creamy pumpkin chiffon filling! When we want to make it gluten-free, we use a combination of paleo gluten-free baking flour and almond flour. The result is a perfectly crisp crust that crumbles into the pumpkin filling with every bite! But, if you are not in need of a gluten-free crust, substitute 2 cups of all-purpose flour for the Paleo baking flour and the almond flour. You will need much less all-purpose flour!
Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (with a gluten-free option)
- 1 recipe Emily Stewart’s Pie Crust (regular or gluten-free) (recipe below)
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree or fresh cooked and pureed
- 2 lightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 egg whites use pasteurized egg whites in the carton
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream whipped to stiff peaks.
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
Gluten-free Almond Pie Crust
- 1 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour or your favorite gluten-free baking flour
- 1 1/2 cups super-fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
Light and Fluffy (Gluten-free) Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, and gelatin in a saucepan stir in milk, beaten egg yolks, and pumpkin.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just until the mixture comes to a boil and gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator until partially set.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks.
- Fold into cooled pumpkin mixture and fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into baked pie shell and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish top with toasted sliced almonds and whipped.
Gluten-free Almond Pie Crust
- Place all dries in a mixing bowl. Mix oil and milk together and blend with a fork.
- Add to dries and mix well. Pat this mixture into a greased or sprayed 9-inch pie dish to form a crust across the entire bottom and up the sides. With a fork, poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust to prevent it from bubbling up.
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a baking rack.