Delicata squash is delicious no matter how you slice it, and it’s especially good roasted with brown butter and a tiny sprinkling of brown sugar. You can eat the entire thing, skin and all and it’s delicious when paired with dried cranberries, blue cheese, and toasted pecans on a bed of arugula. Drizzle with your best olive oil and red wine vinegar over the entire salad and you have a great head start on dinner!
Delicata Squash Salad
- 6 cups fresh arugula leaves
- 2 Delicata squash, seeds removed and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons brown butter (this link will show you how to brown the butter)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Lemon Pepper
- S & P to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Place Delicata squash rings on the tray.
- Brush the tops of the squash ring with half of the brown butter and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar.
- Roast for approximately 10 minutes and flip rings over.
- Brush the top side with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the rest of the brown sugar.
- Continue to bake for another 5 minutes or so, until a knife inserts easily into the flesh of the squash. Remove from the oven and cool.
- To make salad, place arugula in the bowl, and arrange roasted Delicata squash rings on top along with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, and blue cheese.
- Toss with all with olive oil first and then vinegar and lemon juice. Season to taste with lemon pepper, salt, and pepper.