We love lemon bars with their tangy-sweet filling and crispy shortbread crust. They are the perfect spring dessert, so light and delicious. Since we are such lime fanatics, we decided to make our lemon bars with lime juice too, for a Lemon-Lime Bar! The combination of citrus flavors is mouthwatering and will have you and your guests coming back for more. If you’re anything like us, you won’t be able to leave them alone till they’re all gone!
- 1 cup unsalted butter 8 oz. or 2 sticks, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
Garnishes: 1/4 cup powdered sugar, candied lemon, and lime slices, or thin slices of lemon and lime peel.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray a 9×13 inch baking dish. (We prefer to simply spray or grease the baking dish because when we’ve used parchment paper instead, we had the unfortunate result of the filling undermining the crust and we ended up with lemon-lime upside-down bars!)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt and mix until well integrated.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. The crust will be 1/4 to 1/3-inch thick.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. You want the crust to be a nice golden brown, but not too dark since it will be baking again with the filling.
- Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300 F.
- Meanwhile, while the crust is baking, whisk eggs until beaten. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar and flour and then whisk into eggs. Finally, whisk in lemon and lime juice until well blended.
- Pour filling mixture over the warm crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until lemon-lime custard is set.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate until firm and then cut into 2-inch squares. Dust everything with powdered sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or just serve them as is … they are delicious either way!
- Garnish with lemon and lime peel shavings, or candied lemon and lime slices.