We just rescued this recipe from the bottom of our old metal recipe box and are we ever glad we did! The funny thing is that we don’t recognize the handwriting so we have no idea who gave us this great recipe, but whoever it was, was a wonderful baker! We updated the recipe a bit by using bittersweet chocolate chips and toasted pecans. Then, for the final touch, we ground a splash of sea salt over the top before baking the cookies. Oh my. That’s all … pure cookie joy!
We love a good chocolate chip cookie, and these are now one of our go-to faves!🍪
Double Chocolate Toasted Pecan Cookies
The little twist of the sea salt grinder really brings out the flavor in these cookies. The richness of the bittersweet chocolate combined with brown sugar and the aromatic flavor of toasted pecans is just perfect for chocolate lovers. We love a cakey cookie, so the extra flour helps keep them tall and firm, but crisp at the same time. They are so delicious right out of the oven, but if you have time to bake ahead and can freeze them, they hold up really well in the freezer. Just thaw out about 10 minutes before serving.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder we love Valrhona Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped and toasted (buy pre-toasted or toast in 400 F oven for 6-8 minutes, keeping your eye on them so they don’t burn!)
- Sea Salt for topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter with brown and granulated sugar with an electric beater until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Add beaten egg and stir into mixture until very well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dries: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dries to the butter-egg mixture and beat until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- With an ice cream scoop, make rounds of dough and place on a prepared baking sheet, 12 at a time.
- Grind sea salt over each cookie and bake for 11-12 minutes, until set in the center.
Remove from oven and cool. Eat right away, while nice and gooey, or store in an airtight container for several days. You can also freeze the cookies and thaw just before eating.