Coconut is one of those “love it or hate it” kinds of foods for sure. Courtney and I love it, but we know people who won’t touch it with a 10-foot fork! In our world, these cookies are divine … but, keep in mind, you must be a coconut lover to bother with macaroons because they are mostly a big mound of sweetened coconut. If you check this box, read on!
This cookie is delicious with or without chocolate, but chocolate is always better, right? Besides, it’s fun trying to perfect your macaroon dipping technique. We dropped several into the melted chocolate bath, which is so tasty, but not as pretty as just dipping one half of the cookie!
These macaroons are made with both sweetened and unsweetened coconut, sweetened condensed milk, egg whites, vanilla, and a dash of salt, all dipped in melted dark chocolate, which is an amazing complement to the coconut. This concoction ends up tasting like an over-the-top Mounds Bar.
Trader Joe’s packages the unsweetened flaked coconut, but you can usually also find it in most grocery stores nowadays and especially if they have a health food section.
Dark Chocolate Dipped Macaroons
- 14 oz. sweetened flaked coconut (approximately 4 1/3 cups)
- 14 oz. unsweetened flaked coconut (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 oz. bittersweet or dark chocolate chopped for melting
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl until well integrated.It may seem too dry, but don’t worry, it will all work out.Stir together with a spoon until well mixed.
- In a separate large glass bowl, beat egg whites with the salt at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold coconut mixture into egg whites in three batches, until all is mixed together.
- Using a one-fourth cup rounded measuring cup or an ice cream scoop, spoon batter onto parchment paper.We like to make big round cookies, but you can also flatten them if you prefer flatter macaroons.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until the bottom of the cookie, is golden brown and the tops are toasted. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- When cookies are at room temp, melt 2/3 of the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler.Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1/3 of the chocolate until completely melted.
- Using tongs, dip half of each cookie in the melted chocolate.Cool completely on a wire rack.