This awesome roasted chicken recipe is made up of just six ingredients: Chicken, Soy Sauce, Honey, Cider Vinegar, Fresh Ginger, and Garlic. It’s super easy to make and your kitchen, in fact, the whole house will smell divine as it’s cooking!
We first discovered this recipe while aboard a scuba dive boat in the Caribbean. Chef April (the boat’s chef) made it one evening and we were so hungry after being in the sun and diving all day, that we could barely contain ourselves. It smelled divine! Even the fish were jumping out of the water to check out the enticing aroma! My family loves walking into the house as this dish is cooking because it makes the whole house smell edible.
Leftover April’s Chicken is perfect for Chinese chicken salad, but there probably won’t be any leftover, so you may want to double the recipe! If you love to grill and prefer outdoor cooking, you can bake this indirectly on the barbecue, too!
April’s Chinese Basting Chicken
- 1 roasting chicken 5-6 lbs.
- 1 Recipe April’s basting sauce
- Basting Sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix basting sauce ingredients together and shake well. Set aside.
- Place chicken in a well-greased or sprayed roasting pan and bake for the first 20 minutes without any basting sauce.
- Now, remove the chicken from the oven and pour basting sauce over the entire chicken, and continue to cook for another hour, or until internal temp reaches 165 F on a meat thermometer, basting every 20 minutes with pan juices.
- Cooking time may vary depending up the size of the chicken.
- Carve chicken and serve with Basmati fried rice.
- (Saute rice with scrambled eggs, sauteed onions, bell peppers, and sausage or bacon to make an easy and good fried rice. Season with a little soy sauce and sesame oil.) Pour pan juices over both chicken and rice. Enjoy … it's delish!!!