This is one of our very favorite ways to cook green beans, and it’s super easy. All you have to do is clean the beans, snip off the ends, and toss them with olive oil, slivered shallots, and walnut halves. Then season with salt and pepper and roast for about 10 minutes at 400 F. Voilà … you have a very fancy, incredibly delicious veggie dish for Thanksgiving or any day of the year! You can also add grated Parmesan to the beans during the last 2-3 minutes of roasting for a little heartier version.
When you go to the market, be sure to select fresh beans that are firm and have few or no brown spots. Keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to prepare them. At that time, rinse them under cold water shake dry, and then lay on paper towels to gather up any excess moisture. Snip both ends from the bean. If the beans are long, cut them in half. Now is a great time to blanch them to make them greener.
BRIGHTEN UP YOUR BEANS!
Make your green beans greener and brighter by blanching them for 40-45 seconds in boiling water before you prepare them in your recipe. Remove them from the boiling water and drop them into a big bowl of ice water until they are completely cool. Now store them in an airtight container or use them right away. This can be done a day or two ahead of time.
When you’re ready to cook them, toss all of the ingredients together, spread them out on a baking sheet, and roast them along with shallots and walnuts.. We don’t like to leave the beans in the olive oil for too long before roasting them, so we toss them within 10-15 minutes of cooking them.
Roasted Green Beans with Shallots & Walnuts
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt or your favorite salt
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse green beans in a colander. Shake dry and lay out on paper towels to soak up any excess moisture.
- Snip the tips off each end with kitchen sheers. You can leave the beans whole or cut them in half if they are too long.
- Now is a great time to blanch the beans for 45 seconds in boiling water to bring out a vibrant green color! Drain immediately and soak in a bowl of ice water until completley cool. Drain again before tossing the beans in the olive oil and seasoning.
- Peel and cut shallots into eighths, lengthwise
- Toss green beans, shallots, and walnuts in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Toss to make sure all beans, shallots and walnuts are oiled and seasoned.
- Roast beans for approximately 10 minutes, or until beans are al dente and shallots are beginning to brown. Serve hot.