When we went to Rita’s Gourmet Goa cooking class in the Goa region of southwestern India, we learned to make many different Goan dishes, but this simple condiment has become a favorite and with tomato season soon upon us, this will be a fun dish to try. It is wonderful with fresh, soft naan and also pairs well with fish or even the curried chicken kebabs in a nearby post.
Rita’s Gourmet Goa Tomato Chutney
- 4 medium tomatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a heavy, deep pan over medium flame. When the pan is hot, add the oil and then mustard seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
- Then add the cumin seeds. Reduce heat. Add chopped garlic and curry leaves. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 1 minute. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, sugar, and salt and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add cubed tomatoes, increase the flame and sauté the tomatoes and remaining ingredients over high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve with Indian flatbread.