Even if you don’t have a gluten allergy or intolerance, this focaccia bread is well-worth your while! We have no gluten issues in our family, but we absolutely loved this bread. So yummy and moist! Kiere Schroeder, co-manager of Sulphur Creek Ranch in Idaho made it for us to go with dinner on one of our summer overnighters at the lodge. It was the perfect accompaniment to our steak dinner, but it totally stands on its own as a quick snack!
Kiere’s recipe calls for Namaste Foods Perfect Blend Flour, in addition to almond flour and flaxseed meal. Since I couldn’t find Namaste at my grocer, I used Bob’s Red Mill Grain-free Paleo Baking Flour in its place and it turned out perfectly! And, again, Kiere calls for grated pepper jack cheese, and I used a mixed Mexican blend, but I also think that sharp cheddar or gruyere would be fantastic in this recipe. And, you can use your favorite herb in your bread. I used basil, but rosemary or thyme would both be great.
When you make the dough, be prepared that it is very soft and moist, but don’t worry like I did … it bakes up just right! The recipe makes a 12-inch round loaf that winds up being about 3/4-inch thick.
Kiere’s Gluten-free Focaccia
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Namaste Foods Perfect Blend Flour or Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour or Garbanzo flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or cheese of your choosing
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary basil, or thyme
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
Extra Optional Topping
- 1/4 cup of your favorite cheese grated or crumbled
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400⁰ F.
- Place all dries in a large mixing bowl and blend well with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, rice vinegar, oil, and eggs. Add to dries and mix until well-integrated.
- Pour dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and form into a circle approximately 12 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown. Serve hot or cold. Delish either way!!!