How about adding a little espresso to your favorite chocolate chip cookies? ☕️🍪🍫 We love these Espresso & Toasted Pecan Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies, made with brown sugar, toasted pecans, espresso, and dark chocolate chips! Cookies for breakfast anyone?
Thanks to Word of Mouth (WOM) Bakery in Austin, TX for the inspiration for these cookies! One morning we were in the bakery getting our coffee and looking through all of the goodies, deciding which to order, when we saw their Pecan Coffee Cookie that looked delicious. We loved the cookie and the idea, but then added chocolate chips for this brand new cookie in our collection. If you’ve not been to WOM it’s a must! Their coffee is fantastic and their pastries are amazing! The Monkey Bread is the best we’ve ever had, with lots of crunchy topping and soft, croissant dough on the inside.
When you make your cookies, be sure to have the toasted pecans and the espresso both at room temperature. Then, once the dough is made, chill it for about 20 minutes before you bake it. This step helps to solidify the fat, which keeps the cookies from spreading out too flat. We like to make our cookies fresh, so if you don’t need all of them at once, just bake what you need and keep the dough in the refrigerator. It will keep for a week or so. You can also double this recipe for a big batch!
Espresso & Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, at room temp 1 stick or 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. espresso or strong coffee, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or spray the sheet with cooking spray.
- Toast the chopped pecans for about 5 minutes, or until aromatic and just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool to room temp.
- Meanwhile, cream butter and brown sugar together in the standing mixer or with a hand-held beater. Beat in egg until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla and espresso.
- Add dries (cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and flour) and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Refrigerate cookie dough for 20-30 minutes before baking. You can also refrigerate it overnight or for several days before baking.
- Drop by rounded spoonful onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they look how you like your cookies to look! 🍪