These delicious egg sammies can be made with or without the yolk, and they’re gluten-free too! The eggs take the place of the bread and then you just fill the middle with a slice of smoked Gouda, sautéed mushrooms and arugula. In a snap, you’ll have a yummy, protein-filled, vegetarian, gluten-free breakfast sandwich!
If you want to make these with bread or English muffins, they are fantastic, too, but since there are so many gluten allergies out there, using the eggs as the bread is a great way to go. We love this recipe with the arugula and sautéed mushrooms, but you can certainly fill these with ham or any kind of sausage and any and all veggies that you like to eat with eggs, like spinach, or onions, or tomatoes!
We bought these egg rings and they work pretty well. They are not really non-stick as they claim to be, but we haven’t found any that are yet! So, we spray them with cooking spray and clean them up at the end, because some egg inevitably sticks to them! Also, you need to have them flush with the bottom of the pan, so use a flat bottomed pan instead of a rounded one, and only cook as many as can fit squarely on the bottom at one time. If you only have rounded pans, then stick to the center of the pan, so the egg ring can lay flush with the bottom.
We have found that if you don’t hold them down firmly to the pan as soon as you crack the egg into them, the egg can leak out the bottom, which kind of defeats the purpose. But, if you hold the ring firmly to the bottom of the pan, then as soon as the egg starts to set up, you can let go and move onto the next one!
We know this is a lot of caveats, but they are so much fun, and such a great breakfast, that we find it worth the effort! And, if you do want to use English muffins, the eggs fit perfectly to the shape!
Egg Breakfast Sammies with smoked Gouda, arugula & sautéed mushrooms
- Egg Rings
- Large frying pan with a flat bottom
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or butter, divided
- 8 whole eggs (or can use just egg whites)
- 4 slices smoked Gouda (or your favorite cheese)
- 4 large cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- lemon pepper, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. minced chives or green onions for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet and sauté mushrooms over medium heat until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Spray the egg rings with cooking spray and place them in the center of the pan. Be sure to have the bottoms of the rings flush with the pan.
- Crack the eggs into the center of the rings. Hold the rings down until the eggs start to cook. Then you can release your hold on the egg ring and move on to the next. Season the eggs with salt, pepper and lemon pepper.
- When the egg is beginning to look opaque, use a knife to separate the egg from the ring and flip the egg over to cook the other side. Repeat the process until all eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.
- Next, just lay the slice of cheese on top of one egg, followed by sliced mushrooms and arugula. Finally lay the other egg on top, garnish with chives (or green onions) and you are ready to dive in!🍳