These crostini are fantastic served as an appetizer, and they also make a fancy cheesy bread to go with your next pasta dish. We love them because not only are they super easy to make, but they seem like a whole lot of work went into them. We love Boursin cheese precisely for this reason. It is the perfect backdrop for so many creative recipes. In this case, with caramelized shallots and cherry tomatoes, voila, you’ve got a quick and tasty snack for your next gathering!
You can use Boursin’s Garlic & Fine Herb or the Shallot & Chive, either one would be delicious. We’ve also made these with just plain goat cheese and they are yummy, too. We love the taste of caramelized shallots, but thinly sliced red or yellow onion would also work well if you find yourself short on shallots. The main thing is the get the shallots or onions cooked to the point where they are a little bit crispy.
Caramelized Shallot Crostini
- 1 small baguette cut into ¼-inch slices (24 slices)
- 1 5.2 oz Boursin Shallot & Chive or Garlic & Fine Herbs
- 3 Large Shallots thinly sliced and caramelized in 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 Cherry tomatoes yellow or red, or both, chopped
- 2 Large Basil leaves snipped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and bake for just about 5 minutes, or until slightly toasted. Remove from the oven and cool to room temp. Keep oven temperature at 350 F.
- Meanwhile, caramelize shallots in the olive oil in a frying pan until golden-brown and crispy. This will take about 15 minutes at medium-low temperature.
- Spread a layer of Boursin on each baguette slice. Arrange shallots on top.
- Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven and scatter chopped tomatoes over the top of each crostini. Garnish with a few strands of basil.