Mother Nature at her finest! 🥕Beautiful rainbow and maroon carrots, fresh cranberries, and shallots, all tossed in Sambal, maple syrup, and soy marinade, makes such a bright and colorful complement to any holiday meal, whether it’s a big roast or a vegetarian dish. It’s such a fun and festive combination especially for the holidays!
We cannot get over the splendor of all of these colorful carrots and the maroon carrots with a bright orange center and maroon exterior, have just become available at our market in bunches all by themselves. They tend to be just a tad bit sweeter than regular carrots, and they hold their color beautifully even after roasting them.
Maroon carrots are not only beautiful, but like all carrots, they are low calories and full of great health benefits like fiber, potassium, vitamins A, B & C, and manganese. The purple varieties also have antioxidants called anthocyanins, which help protect the body from oxidative stress — the imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in your body.
Regardless of any health benefits, which are awesome, we just simply love the flavor of carrots and especially when roasted like this! Another great thing about this dish which saves time when it comes to serving dinner, is that you can prepare the carrots even a day or two ahead of time and marinate them along with the cranberries and shallots. When you’re ready to serve them, just roast them for 20-25 minutes at 400 F and you’re good to go!
Roasted Rainbow Carrots & Cranberries
- 8 large rainbow and maroon carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-in by 4-5-inch strips
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 large shallot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Sambal or harissa *hot chili paste
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 cup pepitas, roasted and salted for garnish
- 2 tbsp. snipped parsley for garnish
- Marinate carrots, shallots and cranberries in marinade for at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 400 F. Oil or spray a large roasting pan or baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Place veggies along with all of the marinade on the prepared pan and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until carrots, cranberries and shallots are tender and beginning to brown. Serve hot and garnish with a handful of pepitas!