Kebabs are always fun to serve for dinner because each person gets their own skewer and it seems so personal! It’s also a great way to meet different dietary requests, by skewering each with its own little wish list! This recipe is delicious served with Greek Chickpea Salad and rice but would also be wonderful with hummus and flatbread. We love the bright flavors of Mediterranean cuisine, and this recipe, made with Greek yogurt and an array of spices will spruce up any weekday to make it seem like a party day! Double the marinade for extra dipping sauce.
Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large red or yellow onion cut into wedges for skewering between chicken/lemon pieces
- 2 lemons sliced for skewering
- 4 large wooden or metal skewers
Marinade: (double for extra dipping sauce)
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Tzatziki – Mix the following in a small bowl:
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ chopped cucumber peel and remove seeds before chopping
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill or parsley
- Mix all spices in a small bowl. In a separate larger bowl, place yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, shallots, and parsley. Add spices and stir all well and set aside while making skewers.
- Thread chicken, lemon slices and onion wedges onto skewers in some kind of pattern onto your skewers. Spread yogurt marinade to cover the chicken and veggies on the skewer. This can be done several hours ahead of time.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place skewers onto grill and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until the desired doneness, rotating every few minutes to cook and brown evenly. (The size of the chicken pieces and the heat of your grill can alter cooking time.) Serve with extra dipping sauce or tzatziki, your favorite Greek salad, and rice.
- Serve as a condiment for Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs or with flatbread. Tzatziki will keep in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for several days. Drain off any excess liquid that seeps from the cucumbers before serving.