You are going to LOVE these potatoes! They’re crispy, tender, cheesy, easy, so delicious, and great for breakfast or dinner! We were first introduced to them at the Heartstone Inn in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The innkeepers, Cheri and Rick Rojek, put on an amazing breakfast every day, alternating sweet and savory, and one morning these potatoes were on the menu. We loved them so much and were really happy to learn that the recipe was in their cookbook Bigger, Better Breakfast and Brunch Cookbook! Naturally we bought the book while we were there at the inn and have made several recipes already, including these fabulous potatoes! They’ve quickly become a family favorite.
The nice thing about this dish is that you can easily prepare it several hours ahead of time and bake it just before you’re ready to serve your meal. It takes about 30 minutes at 400 F to get the potatoes crispy and cooked through. We like to use the baby Yukon gold potatoes, but have also made this dish with a combination of red, yellow and purple potatoes, and that’s also great. The recipe calls for garlic powder and paprika, along salt and pepper, but we have also made them with an herb blend (chives, parsley, dill, onion powder, white pepper, salt) and love them that way too. We have yet to try them with fresh rosemary, but it’s on our to-do list!
The key to making these potatoes is to use a glass baking dish so you can keep an eye on the bottom of the pan. When the cheese looks bubbly and beginning to brown, and the potatoes are knife tender, they are ready. It’s best to serve them inverted, so the crispy cheesy part is on top.
Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- 1 glass 9×13 baking dish
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold fingerling potatoes, cleaned and cut in half lengthwise. can use red or purple, or a combination of all three
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (we like Pecorino Romano for this recipe too!)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper our addition!
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Baste the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish with the olive oil to coat the entire bottom of the dish. (The glass dish allows you to see if the potatoes are getting golden brown on teh bottom.)
- In a small bowl, mix grated cheese with the spices. Evenly distribute this mixture on top of the oil in the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange the potatoes in the baking dish cut side up, right on top of the cheese layer. Spray the tops of the potatoes with olive oil spray and lightly season with salt and pepper. (If you don’t have the spray, very lightly drizzle 1 tbsp. of olive oil over the tops of the potatoes and season with S & P.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are knife tender and teh crust is deep golden-brown and crispy. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, invert the potatoes so that the crispy side is up. Serve hot!