A zesty trio of lemons, limes, and oranges partner with pepitas, cilantro, chipotle, and cumin to create a tangy and smoky flavor for this turkey tenderloin. Stir in a little cornstarch to some reserved marinade for a perfect finish to this grilled meat.
This is a fun party dish because you can grill a lot of these butterflied turkey tenderloins on the barbecue at one time! If you do make it for a party, be sure to make extra marinade so you can have plenty of sauce to pass!
Citrus Trio Turkey Tenderloin
- 2 lbs. turkey tenderloin
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas green pumpkin seeds, pureed in the food processor
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch for final sauce
- Mix all marinade ingredients except the cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine well. Set aside 1/2 cup of the marinade for the glaze.
- Cut tenderloin in half lengthwise (i.e. butterfly the tenderloin). Place in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Pour marinade over tenderloin and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill to hot. Place meat directly on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer reads 165 F when inserted into the turkey tenderloin.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining marinade in a small sauce pan. Slowly whisk in cornstarch and cook, stirring all the while, until sauce thickens slightly to coat the back of a spoon. This makes a perfect glaze for the tenderloin.
- Remove meat from grill and drizzle glaze over meat.