Barbecue Corn-Chicken Salad
It almost never fails … when you want to make something delicious and timely, simply stop at your local produce market and you will find inspiration! For some reason, the jalapeño peppers sitting right next to the fresh, ripe peaches gave me an idea for a peach-jalapeño salad, which I will dive into later in the summer as fresh, ripe peaches grace the markets with their presence. But, for now, it was the aisle chock full of fresh corn and gorgeous locally-grown tomatoes that called to me and this salad came together for dinner one night. This dish is also a great way to use any leftover barbecued chicken and corn that you might have in the refrigerator. And, if you plan to make those anyway, why not just toss on a few extra ears of corn and a chicken breast or two, and you will have your salad practically prepared ahead of time.
- 6 ears corn precooked on the grill and cooled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons Cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Remaining salad ingredients:
- 4 large tomatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro
- 2 chicken breasts grilled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 2 avocados cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup grated sharp white or yellow cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Tajin spice
- Garnishes: tomato wedges, avocado slices, extra grated cheddar and sprigs of parsley
Dressing – In a jar with a tight-fitting lid combine and shake well:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce
- ½ lime juice
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Brush corn with canola oil and season with Cajun spice, lemon pepper and cayenne. Barbecue corn over medium heat for approximately 8 minutes, rotating four times to grill each side of the corn. Cool completely and then cut corn off the cobs. Set aside. Can be done a few days ahead of time.
- When ready to make the salad, combine corn with remaining salad ingredients. Season with Tajin and toss with dressing. Garnish with extra tomato wedges, avocado slices, cheese and a sprig of parsley.