Put a little “fig” in your step! Figs are a regally beautiful fruit in all of their purple and green splendor, and they comport themselves so well as an appetizer or the perfect complement to grilled or roasted lamb, pork, or chicken. Add salty feta and earthy balsamic and you’ll wish you’d bought more figs!
Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
Jalapenos, Cilantro, garlic, tahini, lime juice come together in this bright and zesty hummus.
- 1 1/2 jalapeños, seeds and veins removed and diced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, they come packed 14, 15, 15.5 or 16 oz., but any will do!
- 1 tbsp. garbanzo bean brine, or cold water
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Drain garbanzo beans, but reserve the packing brine to use in the hummus. Separate out about 15 garbanzo beans to use as the garnish on top. Set all aside.
- Remove stem, ribs and seeds from the jalapeños, and coarsely dice. Place diced jalapeños in the bowl of your food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Add cilantro leaves and process until smooth. Mince garlic into this mixture and continue to process.
- Add garbanzo beans along with 1 tablespoon of the brine (or cold water) and purée until smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons tahini, lime juice and salt and puree until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add a little more of the brine, (or cold water), 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. We found that 1 tablespoon was perfect, but each can of garbanzo beans can vary in both size and moisture content!
- To serve, garnish with fried garbanzo beans, (recipe just below), thinly sliced jalapeño, lime wedges, a sprig of cilantro and drizzle extra olive oil over the top!
- Fried Garbanzo Beans for Garnish: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add garbanzo beans and sauté over medium heat until crispy. Season with a dash of sea salt.